Professor Victoria Richards: Unsuspecting consumers may be at risk for overdose from a common pain-reliever

Richards, VictoriaVictoria Richards, assistant professor of medical sciences in the Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine, at Quinnipiac University is available to discuss the the makers of Tylenol® putting red warnings on the bottles alerting users to the potentially fatal risks of taking too much of the pain-reliever.

“One of the biggest issues with acetaminophen is that most consumers are only familiar with the brand name Tylenol®,” says Richards. “There are many over-the-counter and prescription medications that contain acetaminophen and the unsuspecting consumer may be at risk for overdose of the pain-reliever, as well as misuse, particularly with alcohol, which can lead to potentially fatal liver damage. There is also the issue of adverse effects involving the skin. Although acetaminophen use is associated with a rash, it can range from relatively minor to serious and potentially life-threatening.”

To speak to Richards, please call John Morgan, associate vice president for public relations, at 203-206-4449.



Categories: community and service, experiences, Frank H Netter MD School of Medicine, hot topics, insight, news

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 144 other followers

%d bloggers like this: